After almost a week off, tomorrow I will return to work. I can’t describe how ready I am to get back on campus. Although I completely understand it, as I have declared before, I dislike missing work for unplanned weather events.
However, I did my best to try and enjoy the time off I had over the last several days. Even though I was working from home a majority of the time, I did make provisions to take advantage of the fact that I was not in the office. Tonight I want to briefly share the top ten things I did during the Hurricane Matthew Shut Down.
10. Watched every Governor Nikki Haley press conference – Along with the rest of the state, I became a fan of interpreter Jason Hurdich.
9. Got out of the house and went to the movies with Sidney to watch “The Girl on the Train.” – Although I can’t recommend the movie, the popcorn I had at the Coastal Grand Mall Cinemas was some of the freshest I have ever had the pleasure of eating.
8. Ate Cinnamon Toast Crunch and doughnuts for breakfast one day – Sure beat my usual half of a peanut butter sandwich.
7. Watched day time TV, including “Let’s Make A Deal.” – Turns out I am not missing much when I am at work.
6. Intensely followed the U.S. Presidential race – What a wash, absolutely nothing happened at all.
5. Worked out at three different gyms – If only the exercise I put in could compensate for the roughly 10,000,000 calories I ate over the past week.
4. Managed to petrify all of my relatives who feared that Hurricane Matthew would sweep me away – Hey, the national news made the hurricane look like it was Armageddon.
3. Celebrated my birthday – No better way to ring in your “dirty thirty” than in a state of emergency with no electricity.
2. Experienced my first major hurricane – Pretty big deal for a west coast boy.
1. Grew a Hurricane Matthew beard – Well, my best excuse for a beard anyway.
So happy to return to work tomorrow. It is time to get back to normal. Hurricane Matthew, it has been real. Don’t Blink.